Fellowship in the Evenings!
Every Tuesday @ 6 pm



President Mark Leiser
Email: mleiser3@gmail.com

Home Page Stories
What an exciting meeting we had with RCS on Tuesday October 13, 2020! David Zybert, Charter RCS member and long-time District RYE Committee member, arranged a special treat for us. Over the last 12 years, RCS has hosted 12 students from around the world. On Tuesday, five of them joined our Zoom meeting!
The Rotary Website’s call-to-action for Rotaract reads, “Join the global movement of young leaders who are developing innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges.” Reading this shines a beautiful light on the potential of our small communities in District 5190 as many Young Adults attempt to enter a new phase of their lives – whether university or the workforce – and are faced with such unprecedented situations.
During Ken’s year as president, our club donated funds to purchase a bench for veterans and guests to use at the Northern Nevada State Veteran’s Home.  The intent was to visit and tour the facility on May 5th and allow our club members to see the bench for themselves. 
Rotary International President, Holger Knaack’s theme for 2021 is Rotary Opens Opportunities and asks, in part, that as Rotarians we create opportunities and improve the lives of those in need. 
We are pulling together Club photos from the last 15 years and we need your input. Please email me any pictures you have of our meetings and events! If you can, please include names, dates and activities to help us organize them.  :-)

For now, enjoy some of the pictures that we have in the “Gallery” on the Club’s homepage. Hover over the word “Gallery” and there is a drop-down menu with a few of the photo albums we have by year.
As stated on the Rotary.org website, “Rotary International President Holger Knack’s theme for 2020-21, is Rotary Opens Opportunities, to create opportunities that strengthen their leadership, help put service ideas into action, and improve lives of others in need.” 
Past President Mark Schauss is our club’s vocational chair and has plans to give members the opportunity to share their work experiences with the club. In the past we have presented “Percationals” as short speeches during our club meetings. We want to expand that to the newsletter! Would you write a couple of paragraphs about your work? Would you like to participate in a written or video interview? Think about it. I’m going to ask you.
RCS Rotary Foundation Inc. is a (501) (C) (3) Nevada non-profit corporation. The Foundation was established in 2009 for the purpose is to oversee fundraising activities and charitable contributions of the Rotary Club of Reno Centennial Sunset.  The RCS Rotary Foundation Inc., distributes 80% of the net amount raised each year to the Rotary Club of Reno Centennial Sunset. How the funds are spent each year is at the discretion of the current Club President and the Board of Directors of the Club. The remaining 20% is conservatively invested by the Foundation.
My first exposure to Rotary was as a high school student, competing in speech contests. I won my first Rotary Club contest, and took home a desk pen set with the Rotary emblem on it. It looked so official and grown up.  I appreciated Rotary Clubs and Lions Clubs for inviting me and other students to speak to them, for fostering our skills, and showing that they were interested in what we had to say. And, let's be honest, taking home trophies or money, along with bragging rights, was also pretty cool. (Yes, I still have my trophies.)

A Message about RYE...from a mom and a counselor

The idea of sending your child off to another country may seem terrifying to some, or a rite or passage to another, but in a way it is a matter of trust most of all.


“As long as we have books, we are not alone.”  Laura Bush
“When I walk out of a library with my arms full of books, I feel rich.”  My mom
Interesting words came out of the last decade, including binge-watching, mansplaining, autotuned, and guyliner.  Have you used any or all of these in your day-to-day speech lately?  What new words are going to be added to our vocabulary in our new decade?
In the December issue of The Rotarian, “The Sustainability Challenge” captured my attention.  The word “sustainability” has become popular in the last few years and addresses the ability to maintain at a certain level. The article summarized a Rotary-USAID water and sanitation project in Ghana over the last 10 years.  They reviewed the work that was done and more importantly, discussed lessons learned in order to make the project more successful as they move forward.

Yourth SpeechContest
Mar 09, 2021 6:00 PM
Local Youth Speech Contest
Club Executives & Directors
President Elect
Past President
Youth Services
Club Service Co-Chair
Club Service Co-Chair
Community Service
Vocational Services
Rotary Foundation
Fundraising Chair
Speaker Coordinator
Public Image
Website Sponsors